Wednesday, 5 December 2012

9. Mamak and Moochi

Heading out to the city with a group of friends, there was a plan for a little foodie 'tour', but the crazy heat got to us and we decided to skip out on our tacos venture. No worries, there's always next time!

Instead, we stayed at our first stop, Mamak, for lunch.

Roti canai ($5.50)

Didn't get to try much of this one, but it was fun tearing and sharing the roti.

Kari kambing: "Spicy lamb curry slow-cooked until tender" ($16)

The meat was tender and soft, and this dish was quickly mopped up by all of us.

Nasi goreng: "Malaysian-style fried rice with spicy sambal, eggs, prawns, french beans, assorted veges, topped with fried shallots" ($11.50)


And this is why you should write up posts soon after the meal - I can't remember much about this dish, sorry. I don't remember there being anything spectacular about it, but I enjoyed eating the cucumber, haha.

Nasi lemak (with curry chicken): "Fragrant coconut rice accompanied by an ensemble of sambal, peanuts, crispy anchovies, cucumber and hard-boiled egg. Arguably Malaysia's national dish." ($11.50)

The rice was used as an accompaniment to the curry, whilst the other bits and pieces were enjoyed on their own. The anchovies were crispy and I kept going back for more, but then again I haven't eaten many crispy anchovies in my lifetime, so I don't have much to compare it to.

Roti tisu ($9.50)

When this was placed on our table, all eyes were on the roti. Standing tall and proud, we stared at it for a few moments (and took a few photos) before ripping into it. Laced with sugar and oil or butter (?), this was quickly devoured and a clear winner. I would have liked more ice-cream though because I thought it paired really well with the roti. 

In the end, the price per person was below 10 dollars, so it was great value. Although, we didn't have large shares, so maybe this would have been a bit more usually. We saved room for dessert instead!

One buddy bought a treat from N2 Gelato and I was going to try out their pandan and rambutan gelato, but for some reason, didn't get one.

My friend opted for butter popcorn and enjoyed the little bits of popcorn peppered throughout his gelato. After coming home, I sort of regretted not trying out a gelato, especially as their flavours change weekly, but I was really happy to find out that their pandan and rambutan flavour has stayed on for another week! Only problem is, their new flavours also sound so tempting, so I might just have to drag another few people to the city to buy some so I can try them, hehe.
I'm not sure when I'll be able to head over to Haymarket though, so if the guys at N2 Extreme Gelato are reading this: save some for me!

Back to the events of the day...we headed off to Moochi to meet the froyo cravings of certain members of our pack. (That makes us sound like a bunch of wolves or something.) This was the first time I'd tried something from one of these frozen yoghurt franchises/places which seem to be the new buzz. I guess I'm rather late in hopping on the bandwagon.


I had a mango-flavoured yoghurt with granola and mochi. The yoghurt was refreshingly cool and smooth, pairing well with the crunchiness of the granola, but I think, in a way, that it's a bit over-rated. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but to me, I'm quite happy to purchase a tub of yoghurt at that price and add my own little toppings.

Phew, I think this is the last of my catch-up posts. And to the company I was with that day, I really did have a great time with you guys despite the searing heat, only made worse by my poor clothing choices (a singlet and a woolly top - what was I thinking?). Thanks to my buddy for organising!
Mamak on Urbanspoon
Moochi (Sydney CBD) on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment